If you're a woman, read this blog.

If you're a woman, read this blog. If you're married to a woman, read this blog. If you need a good laugh (especially if you're a woman) read this blog, which regards a mixture of my own personal drama, my adventures within the kitchen, and my love for photography.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Night light.

Here's a project I've been wanting to do for a long time, and finally got around to it today!!!  I've been tugging this little aquarium around with me since college (which I bought at Walmart for maybe $20).  I refuse to get rid of it, and since it's going to take up space no matter where I put it, I thought I could use it in the nursery decor!  


Here's a close up of the project.  I couldn't live without this blossom!


I fell in love with the Tiddliwinks "In The Pond" bed set from Target, and thought a pond themed night light would be essential for my little one!


I've always been really big on keeping plants indoors.  I'm not sure why, it must be something about keeping my own oxygen supply.  Think about it!  A little bit of love and care, and you've got a little friend who gives you beautiful, clean oxygen!  In your house!  I love it.  So I headed over to the Petsmart aquarium and picked out two lives plants, and two super bright artificial plants, just for fun!



Here's a look from one side of the hexagonal aquarium.  I of course had to choose pink plants to go with the pink accents on the wall... and I'm having a girl!  For the natural bits, I chose a leafy green, which you see in the background. I chose this just to fill the space up a bit, and add that flowy plant feeling, that is necessary in any underwater setting!  I didn't pay attention to the species, just the price tag.  This little guy was around $3.50.




Here you can see the two most beautiful of the four choices.  They're also bigger, so I placed them in the back!  When I saw this blossom I had to have it.  I considered buying three, and placing them at different heights around the aquarium, but sticking to the budget is a much better feeling!  The artificial plant with the blossom came with a ton of rather large leaves, and I definitely wanted the natural plants to fill the space more, so I removed several of the leaves.  I also had to shorten the stem of the blossom to put it at the ideal viewing hight.  The voluminous plant on the right was so beautiful, even my husband got a little excited about the texture of it.  It was so large that I had to trim off about four inches just to get it to float through the water properly!  So I took those trimmings, bundled them together and planted them in the opposite corner.  I got two plants out of that one, and pretty much felt like a winner.




 Overall, I spent about $10 on plants at Petsmart, and $3 on the beautiful, polished river stones (purchased from Michaels).  The arranging was a little difficult, but as soon as the roots grow into the gridded mat on the bottom, they should be quiet permanent!




I just grew rather fond of this image.  




I took a teensy step back to show the aquarium in it's entirety.  I turned on the light, and set the bubbler.  The motor makes a soft hum that might prove to be comforting to the little one, or might not.  Anyway, I've been searching for a unique nightlight for Juliet (and myself) to enjoy, but couldn't find anything interesting within our budget, so for less than $20, I made my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment