If you're a woman, read this blog.

If you're a woman, read this blog. If you're married to a woman, read this blog. If you need a good laugh (especially if you're a woman) read this blog, which regards a mixture of my own personal drama, my adventures within the kitchen, and my love for photography.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lexicon.

Sometimes I just feel like I need to write.  It feels good just to type, and to see the volume of my vocabulary and understanding of basic sentence structure fill a page.  I find it interesting that even though I used to thrive on creative writing, the happier I become with my life, the harder it is to spend time in an imaginary one.  I wonder how many writers find themselves in a similar predicament?

As I've become sucked into the popular crime show Bones I enjoy the way that Dr. Brennan speaks through mouthfuls of vocabulary.  I know that there are so many words that exist in the English language, and somehow I have even attained a degree, without even having to know or understand a great majority of them.  I can read Shakespeare and at least have an understanding enough to laugh at about every fourth joke, but there really are so many great words that I am not taking advantage of.

When I was in middle school and high school I found that my wider vocabulary often set me apart from my peers.  Even in college, some of my favorite phrases drew uncomfortable looks from those around me.  Not to say that my favorite phrases were in any way inappropriate or uncouth, but simply unpopular.  I can't stand the way it has become unpopular to be smart, although I certainly understand the vexation caused by those who enjoy putting their wits on display.  It is a difficult line to walk, to use your knowledge, but not flaunt it.


No comments:

Post a Comment